Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Katrina Refugee Apartment Hunts in Gainesville

FEMA's doing a "heckuva" job alright.

Miracle at Gainesville:
How a poet and a resurrected dead man saved a Katrina evacuee.
By Blake Bailey at Slate.com

"...The first place I visited was very ugly indeed (orange concrete block), but in a fairly nice neighborhood with lots of trees. Once I got inside, though, I had to breathe through my mouth. The filthy gray wall-to-wall carpet not only reeked of mildew, but was scored with cigarette burns, as if the place were a clubhouse for chain-smoking junkies. I thought of what Cheever had said about certain houses 'where everything we see, touch, smell and hear urges us to commit murder or suicide or get drunk and perform some contemptible sexual obscenity.'"

No comments: